NAM UPGRADES SECURITY CONFIGURATION FOR ADR VIDEOCONFERENCING THROUGH ZOOM – NOW HIPAA COMPLIANT
Posted on Apr 14, 2020 |News
Last week, NAM e-mailed our clients about the additional security measures that we have put in place regarding the use of Zoom technology for our video-conferenced mediations and arbitrations.
We wanted to let you know that NAM has implemented yet another round of security measures. NAM's customized videoconference technology through Zoom now meets or exceeds the privacy and security specifications provided by The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). As such, NAM's videoconferencing through Zoom has specific safeguards to maintain integrity over, and compliance with, the confidentiality of protected health information (PHI).
What does this mean?
With respect to NAM virtual ADR conferences and hearings through Zoom, all audio, video and screen sharing data is encrypted. In order to accomplish this, NAM's videoconference platform through Zoom has specific settings that are provisioned/configured differently than the generally available Zoom commercial account. The customized settings NAM has implemented ensures that Zoom does not have access to transmitted information. Additionally, NAM meetings/hearings never use the generic https://zoom.us link used by other Zoom users. NAM uses a branded URL that is not available to the public.
The configuration of settings includes the following:
- Meeting data transmitted across the network is protected using a unique Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) with a 256-bit key generated and securely distributed to all participants at the start of each session.
- Cloud recording is disabled.
- Device/user identity information in logging and reporting is removed.
- Encrypted chat is enabled- no Zoom personnel has access to customer data.
- Web and application access is protected by verified email address and password.
- Meeting access is password protected.
- Meetings are not listed publicly.
- Only the NAM Neutral can disconnect attendees or terminate sessions in progress.
- Only the NAM Neutral can lock a meeting in progress.
- The NAM session ends automatically with timeouts.
- Access to desktop or window for screen sharing is controlled by the NAM Neutral.
- Data encryption protects against passive and active attacks on confidentiality.
- Screen sharing transmits encrypted screen capture. Screen sharing cannot be recorded and, therefore, is not stored or otherwise accessible by Zoom in the Zoom environment.
What do I have to do?
Nothing. The security measures that have been implemented by NAM do not change the end-user experience. For you, it is a seamless, easy way to have your cases move forward. NAM's entire administrative staff, including your Account Executive and NAM's IT Department, remains committed to assisting you in whatever way possible.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact NAM at 516-794-8950 or firstname.lastname@example.org.